The Governor's Annual Surf Fishing Tournament is designed:
Entry to the park is free to individuals who register for the Surf Fishing Tournament. WHERE AND WHEN
1) to encourage both youngsters and adults to learn more about the sport of surf fishing and take advantage of a great family activity
2) to raise funds that will assist in developing shore restoration projects and access for disabled saltwater anglers; and,
3) to foster a greater awareness on the need for marine resource conservation.
Weather permitting, the competition will be held Sunday, October 4, 1998, at Island Beach State Park in Ocean County. Storm/hurricane date is Sunday, October 12. Note: it will take EXTREME conditions to force cancellation.
Registration fee is $ 10.00 each ages 18 and older;$5.00 for each agesl3-17;children 12 and under are free. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult and are still required to register.
10:00 a.m. - The Atlantic Saltwater Fly Rodders will offer a fly fishing clinic.
Exhibits featuring sportsmen's clubs, conservation organizations and tackle manufacturers will be at Pavilion #1. Be sure to pick up a "First Fish" certificate from the Shore Surf Club!
NOTE: A beach buggy permit is required to drive on the beach. A weekend permit costs $25. Permit applications will be available at the park entrance. Call 908- 793-0506 for permit information.
Your purchase of fishing equipment and motor boat fuels supports Sport Fish Restoration and boating access facilities.
1. Fish of the following species greater than the minimum length listed below are eligible for entry in the tournament:
Striped bass - 28 in
Bluefish - 12 in
Fluke - 15 in
Weakfish - 14 in
Kingfish - 1O in
Blackfish - 14 in
Red drum - 18 in
Albacore - no min
2. All fish will be measured. Length determines winner; weight will not be a factor. No fish can be iced prior to measuring. In the event of a tie, the first fish entered and measured will be the winner.
3. All anglers must sign an affidavit attesting to the authenticity and method of catch prior to entering their catch. A witness is required if the fish is to be measured and released.4. All participants should register their first fish even if it is known that a larger fish has already been caught.
5. Fish caught from any boat, surfboard or other floating device will not be eligible.
6. Fish may be caught from any OCEANSIDE part of the park from the park entrance to the North Jetty, and the inlet to the dune line.
7. Terminal tackle will be limited to 2 hooks. A plug counts as I hook. Individuals are limited to 2 rods when fishing.
8. IGFA guidelines/rules will be applied to the fly fishing category. This year fly-fishing will be allowed bayside exclusively at A15 &A21.
9. All established park regulations apply.
10. Only one fish per person will be eligible for prizes, but anglers may enter fish of more than one species.
11. Participants must be present to win.PRIZES
The Governor has been invited to present the prizes during a special awards ceremony at the beach concession area beginning at 2:00 p.m. The individual who catches the largest fish will win the Governor's Cup. The winner will receive the"Governor's Trophy" and have his/her name engraved on the Governor's Cup which is permanently displayed at Island Beach State Park.
All registrants will be entered into a special prize drawing to be held on the day of the tournament.
EARLY ENTRY INCENTIVE
Enter before September 11, 1998 and you will:
* Receive a FREE GIFT!
* Be eligible for special prizes offered to pre- registrants on the day of the tournament.
* AVOID DELAYS Pre-registration will ensure timely entry to the park.
[Home] [Archive Index]